Return to Previous Page
Illinois Governor Vetoes Bill Tying Prevailing Wage to Union Contracts
Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner (R) vetoed Senate Bill 2964, which would have significantly changed the prevailing wage calculation process by tying wage rates to union collective bargaining agreements, on the grounds it discounted the wage rates of those who chose not to join a union (the majority of the construction workforce).
Under the legislation, the prevailing wage would have been tied to “as few as 30 percent of the workers in a given trade, meaning that the wage applicable to the remaining 70 percent of workers would be disregarded,” according to Rauner. He also noted the bill would have raised the cost of taxpayer-funded projects and stripped local governments of too much power to determine their own prevailing wage rates.
//to add proper spacing in between panes